“Seeing it is not as good as knowing it. Knowing it is not as good as putting it into practice.” – Xunzi 荀子
We provide data-driven and evidence-driven research and advisory services to deliver actionable results. We are neither in the business of journalism nor in the field of academic research. Here are a few principles and beliefs that describe our approach:
- Our world-view is grounded in a deep study of history, political philosophy and other social sciences. The understanding of the past is critical to develop a holistic vision of the present and to foresee the future.
- We make an extensive use of advanced data analysis and modelling techniques (e.g. advanced financial econometrics, neural networks and deep learning algorithms, Monte Carlo simulations, ..).
- We are independent. In an era of ever growing concentration and consolidation, we believe our independence is a core tenet of our raison d’être. It allows us to challenge the dominant narratives and agendas and to develop and uphold our contrarian views
- We take sides and we make strategic calls. Our research is intended to inform decision-making. Hence, we amalgamate the results derived from our models with our worldview and our expert judgment. But we do it alongside a transparent Bayesian methodology, not in “black box” mode.
- We constantly strive to learn from our successes and failures. Whenever our models or our worldview are out-of-tune, we don’t hesitate to improve them or to overhaul them in order to reflect any disruptions.